Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Bigger Picture

So, I'm probably not going to be around a computer much this summer, but I wanted to write something up before I left!:-) Yesterday, I was reading Ephesians 6:10-18 and was reminded that there is so much more going on than our person to person interactions. "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (verse 12). As I've been struggling through some issues with various friends (or seeming enemies) I was really convicted yesterday that, though others may hurt us, they aren't the enemy. Satan must sit in his chair and laugh because he's managed to separate yet another of God's children from someone who could have been a good asset to their life. The point being, we see an argument or a conflict of some sort. But God sees a real enemy, one whom we should be armed against but forget or get side tracked and in any case don't arm ourselves against these enemies. I easily find myself worrying about or fighting a battle that is designed by my arch enemy, the father of lies, to distract me or make me think that a person is the one causing my problems. "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." (verse 13) God did not leave us helpless. He gave us armor. But it says that we should put it on. From that I gather that it doesn't just appear on us by magic. Sometimes I pray on each peice of armor, asking God to give me grace to remember I even have it. But just as a reminder, lets remind ourselves of the awesome armor that God provides us with.

1) The Belt of Truth - How many times have I been sucked into depression because of lies running through my head? How many times have I given into doubt because I forgot to recite truth. God ALWAYS provides what we need when we need it. We should arm ourselves with truth so that when we're confused we can remember to cry out to God and listen to what He says instead of succombing to the lies being hurled at us.

2) The Breastplate of Righteousness - God counts us as righteous because we take on Christ's righteousness. He took on our sin, and God now sees us robed in the righteousness of Christ. 2 Cor 5:21 says "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." We should not be bound by shame or guilt because a child of God is covered by the blood of Jesus and counted as righteous.

3) "Feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." - in other words, we have a purpose. Have you ever sat around too long, got board and done something you've regretted? I know I have, but God gives us a purpose, a goal. We should always be ready to give a reason for the hope that is within us. And we should live in that hope!:-) "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (1 Pet 3:15)

4) Sheild of Faith - What is faith? Look up Hebrews 11, but it is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Verse 1). In other words, it is knowing with your heart that what God says is true and holding on to that truth. When you hear that voice in your head saying "if God really loved you..." you can come back immediately and say "God DOES love me (Romans 8:38-39), His ways are higher than mine (Is 55:9) and His understanding is beyond my comprehension (Is 40:28). So I don't have to understand this tough stuff, I can just trust that He does and will take care of it (Mat 6:25-34)."

5) Helmet of Salvation - Look at Acts 4:12 and Romans 1:16. Knowing that we are God's children, saved by grace through faith (Eph 2:8-9), is an incredible tool against the attempts of the evil one to get us off track. As Believers, we can know that we belong to God and nothing can change that. "If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." (Psalm 139:8-10)

6) "the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God" - Know the Bible! God gave us His Word so that we could know the truth. Jesus used the Word of God to refute the lies Satan told Him (Look up Matthew 4:1-11 for that story).

With that said, God has given us the tools we need to fight the battles that we will encounter. We need to remember that these powerful tools are available to us and pray for strength and wisdom to use them. Remember, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5). Also remember 1 Cor 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

May God bless you as you seek Him and strive to follow Him this summer!:-)


(All scripture quoted from the New International Version of the Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment