Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Don't Miss Today!:-)

Driving from the chiropractor (yes, I still need adjustments!:-) I was trying to think of something, anything, that would be worth your time and mine to blog about. And then a song came on the radio by Trace Adkins called, "You're Gonna Miss This". It goes like this:

"She was staring out the window of that SUV
Complaining, saying 'I can't wait to turn 18'
She said, 'I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules.'
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said, 'I was just like you...

CHORUS
You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this."

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her 'It's a nice place.'
She says, 'It'll do for now.'
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says, 'Baby, just slow down...
CHORUS

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin, one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says "they don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but...
CHORUS

As I was listening to this song, I saw myself in each scenario. Not that I'm married or have kids, but that attitude has always been a part of me. I forget that the present is a good and perfect gift given to me (James 1:17), and am always trying to reach for the future. How many of us, before we turned 18, wanted nothing more than the ability to make our own way and be "our own person," forgetting that God had given us the gift of now. I don't think it's a good idea to sit around missing our passed, but I do think it's incredibly important to sieze the present. We can't change what happened yesterday, and we can't take care of tomorrow. We don't even know what will happen, and that is a gift in and of itself:-). But we have been given today. I know, you've heard this basic idea before. But I think it's worth repeating. After all King David once said, "[Today] is the day which the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24 NASB.

No comments:

Post a Comment